From Death to Life
SINCERE MILK
October Series: Rooted in Christ
Day 6 — From Death to Life
📖 Ephesians 2:1–3
“And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins.” — Ephesians 2:1
REFLECTION
Sometimes we cannot fully appreciate what Christ has done for us until we understand what we were rescued from.
Paul does not soften his description of our former condition. He says we were “dead in trespasses and sins.”
Dead.
Not merely weak.
Not merely confused.
Not simply in need of improvement.
Spiritually dead and separated from the life of God.
Sin is more serious than making occasional mistakes. It affects the direction of the human heart and separates us from the God who created us.
Paul says that we once “walked according to the course of this world.” We were influenced by values and desires that stood against God's will.
But notice something important: Paul speaks about the past.
“You were dead…”
That was your former condition.
For those who are in Christ, death is no longer the end of the story.
The next verses will reveal the extraordinary words: “But God…”
Those two words change everything.
Your story may contain failure, brokenness, wrong decisions, wasted years, or seasons when you were far from God. But your past does not have to be your permanent identity.
Christ came to give life where there was death.
And spiritual life is not simply about becoming a better version of yourself. It is about receiving a new life from God.
A dead person cannot make themselves alive.
Life must be given.
That is the miracle of grace.
So today, don't take your salvation for granted.
The fact that you can pray, worship, repent, believe, hope, and call upon God is itself evidence of God's gracious work.
You were dead.
But Christ has made you alive.
That is not a small change.
That is resurrection.
🌙 MIDNIGHT CRY — But God
There are moments when we look at our lives and see only what is wrong.
I have failed.
I have gone too far.
I wasted too much time.
I should have known better.
Nothing can change now.
But Ephesians 2 teaches us to pause before writing the final sentence.
Because after describing our spiritual death, Paul will say:
“But God…”
Those words remind us that God can interrupt a story.
He can enter a place where hope has disappeared.
He can breathe life into what seems finished.
He can restore what sin has damaged.
He can revive what has become spiritually cold.
Tonight, perhaps you are looking at an area of your life and thinking, “It is dead.”
Don't give the final word to your circumstances.
Give room for “But God.”
The God who raised Christ from the dead is still the God of resurrection.
MIDNIGHT CRY
Father, I confess that without You I have no true spiritual life. Thank You for meeting me in my brokenness and giving me new life through Christ. Where I have become discouraged, breathe fresh hope into me. Where something has become spiritually dead, let Your life-giving power bring renewal. Teach me to believe that my story is not finished because You are still at work. In Jesus' name, Amen.
TODAY'S TRUTH
My past may have been marked by spiritual death, but Christ has given me new life.
🙏 PRAYER
Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me life when I was separated from You by sin. Help me never to forget the grace that rescued me. Give me strength to turn away from the patterns of my old life and walk daily in the new life You have given me. May my life testify to Your transforming power. Amen.
TODAY'S STEP
Take a few quiet minutes today and reflect on this question:
“What has Christ changed in me?”
Write down at least three things—perhaps your character, priorities, relationships, attitude, faith, or understanding of God.
Then thank Him for each one.
🌙 TONIGHT'S DECLARATION
I am not who I used to be. Christ has given me life, and I will walk in the newness of that life.
🔥 ONE WORD FOR TODAY
LIFE
Where Christ enters, death does not have the final word.

Comments
Post a Comment